Permissions

Apr 1, 2008 at 3:37 PM
This is a great add-in and thanks so much.

However, I have created an auditing site with documents that have a fair amount of workflow and signoff built into the lists.

I can use this web part to see what users have permissions to, but I am the administrator and do not really care. However our auditor does care and would like to see what users have access to, but he is not an Administrator.

Are there any workarounds for this other than giving him Admin?
Thanks
Mart
Coordinator
Apr 2, 2008 at 5:27 AM
Hi Mart,
Thanks for posting your idea, i really appreciate the feedback.

I can modify the code to check that the current user has the EnumeratePermissions role, which would provide a way to restrict access to this web part.

This would mean that users of the Access Checker would obviously need to belong to a Permission Level with EnumeratePermissions enabled.

What do you think of this idea?

Tom.

P.S. For any novices to Permission Levels - Looking at the WSS default Permission Levels for a Team site, you would need to create a new Permission Level as the only Level with this enabled is Administrator. With MOSS publishing sites the Manage Hierarchy Permission Level has this activated in addition to administrator.
Jun 25, 2008 at 4:59 PM
This is a great tool but I have a situation similar to Mart10 where we control what the Site Adminstrators can do.   

These Site Administrators don't have Full Control but have all site permissions that Full Control has except "Create Subsites" and are unable to get results.    If I check the box for "Create Subsites" in their permission level then it does work for them but I don't want them to be able to create subsites.

Their Permission Level does include "Enumerate Permissions" so would the modification you suggested of checking for the EnumeratePermissions role work?   It would be great if it would.   If not is there another way to work around this issue?

Thanks,
Kent   
Jun 26, 2008 at 2:07 PM
Hi Tom,

What you mentioned should work, I have set up a group with the "EnumeratePermissions" selected just for the auditor.

I take it the current download does not have this functionality?

Mart
Coordinator
Jun 30, 2008 at 11:44 AM
Hi Mart,
 Please see v1.2.0 which has this change.

Thanks for the feedback.

Jul 7, 2008 at 8:13 PM
Hi Tom,

Version 1.2.0 with the "EnumeratePermissions" did the trick for us.    My Site Administrators can access this feature now without having to have full control.

Thank You,
Kent