Unable to find Check User Access & View Permission Inheritance

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:15 PM
I have installed AccessChecker, acitvated it under Central Admin and under SiteCollection Features (Site Settings), but still I can't find Check User Access and View Permission Inheritance under Site Settings. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Jennyfer
Coordinator
Jun 30, 2008 at 11:46 PM
Hi Jennyfer,
 Can you just confirm that you activated the Web App Feature for the correct Web Application on the 'Manage Web Application Features' page in Central Admin.
Also, are you using an account that has Full Control to access the Site Settings links?

Tom.
Aug 18, 2008 at 11:50 AM
Sorry for the really late reply... but yes, I have acitvated the correct Web Application and my account has Full Controll rights. The environmnet that I am trying to use the Access Checker on is distributed and I my guess is that the problem somehow is related to this.
Sep 4, 2008 at 1:41 PM
Edited Sep 4, 2008 at 7:14 PM
Hi Tom,

I was attempting to use the Access Checker at a Top level Team Site that has 10 or so Team Sites below it and got the following error while checking inheritance:
OnPreRender: System.ArgumentException: An entry with the same key already exists. at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource) at System.Collections.Generic.SortedList`2.Add(TKey key, TValue value) at TomShirley.WebParts.AccessChecker.AccessCheckerWebPart.GetListTreeNodes(TreeNode currentNode, SPWeb currentWeb) at TomShirley.WebParts.AccessChecker.AccessCheckerWebPart.GetListTreeNodesAsAdmin() at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.CodeToRunElevatedWrapper(Object state) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.<>c__DisplayClass4.<RUNWITHELEVATEDPRIVILEGES>b__2() at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode) at TomShirley.WebParts.AccessChecker.AccessCheckerWebPart.ExpandLists(TreeNode currentNode, SPWeb currentWeb) at TomShirley.WebParts.AccessChecker.AccessCheckerWebPart.ExpandWeb(SPWeb currentWeb, Int32 currentDepth, Int32 maxDepth, Boolean isRootWeb) at TomShirley.WebParts.AccessChecker.AccessCheckerWebPart.ExpandWeb(SPWeb currentWeb, Int32 currentDepth, Int32 maxDepth, Boolean isRootWeb) at TomShirley.WebParts.AccessChecker.AccessCheckerWebPart.BuildTreeView() at TomShirley.WebParts.AccessChecker.AccessCheckerWebPart.ConfigureControls() at TomShirley.WebParts.AccessChecker.AccessCheckerWebPart.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)
Can this product only be used at a single level?
Can this product be used at the Site Collection level?

Thank you for your comments.

Sincerely,
Tim
Coordinator
Sep 5, 2008 at 7:49 AM
Edited Sep 5, 2008 at 7:54 AM
Hi Tim,
 The issue that you are getting is a known issue with release 1.2.0 (See this discussion thread for more information).

The issue is currently fixed with the latest source code. If you can hold on for a couple of days i will be releasing v1.3.0 shortly which includes the fix for this issue.

In regards to your questions, yes it can be used at a single level. To do this, enable the web part feature which is scoped at the site collection level and add the Access Checker Web Part to a web part page. Then go into the web part settings, there is an option called  'Display Sub Webs' which allows you to filter out subweb nodes.

You can use the web part at a root level site to check access for a single site collection, however you can't run the web part across site collections currently.

Thanks again,
Tom.

Sep 10, 2008 at 7:21 AM
My problems with the Access Checker are solved. When I just tried to uninstall and reinstall it through the GUI the problem remained, but by uninstalling it through stsadm and then install it again everything worked fine. Don't know why, but it works now!

Regards
Jenny
Sep 10, 2008 at 7:24 AM
My problems with the Access Checker are solved. When I just tried to uninstall and reinstall it through the GUI the problem remained, but by uninstalling it through stsadm and then install it again everything worked fine. Don't know why, but it works now!
Regards
Jenny

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:32 AM
Hi,

i still have the same error as tmf123.

It would be nice to know the date of publication from the new version :) because this tool is great!

Regards
Kornelius
Sep 11, 2008 at 7:51 AM
Damn :S

I still get the same error with the new release "OnPreRender: Cannot complete this action. Please try again."

Is there something i am doing wrong? :(
Coordinator
Sep 11, 2008 at 9:20 AM
Hi Kornelius,
 I've sent you a PM in regards to your issue to get some more information and hopefully solve this issue shortly.

Tim - Please try release v1.3.0, it should fix the issue that you are getting, let me know if it doesn't.

Tom.
Apr 15, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Hi,

I have downlodaed and installed access checker from http://accesschecker.codeplex.com/

Solution file has been added and deployed successfully . Feature is also activated however I still do not see Check User access and view permission inheritance link under site settings.

I have retracted and re deployed solution file couple of times..

Is there anyone who has come across this issue and have found resolution ?