Make web part invisible

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:05 PM
Great tool. Very nicely done. I would like to insert the web part in the home page of the site collection in order to monitor permission for any user. However I want it to be visible only to those who are allowed to use it. Is this possible?
Perhaps there is a trick I am not aware of. Where does everyone insert the web part to make its scope be an entire site and yet not have the web part be visible to anyone?
Thanks.
Coordinator
Aug 14, 2008 at 4:38 AM
Hi,
 Most people use the Site Settings link 'Check User Access' if they want to monitor permissions. The advantage of this method is that the link is security trimmed, so that only people who have access to the Web Part will see the link in Site Settings. This would be the best approach.

If you need the web part on a homepage of a Site, but wanted it hidden for users that don't have permissions to run the tool, then an option is to add the Web Part to your personal view of the page as opposed to the shared view, and repeat this for other site collection admins.

Tom.
Aug 14, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Thanks Tom. First I could not see the Check User Access link under Site Settings, then I realized (reading another post) I had activated the feature on the wrong site collection. I fixed it and I can now see the link. This option will work fine for me.

Thanks again.

J-F