Feature Request - Starting Location in web part and going to page level

Aug 29, 2008 at 7:09 AM
This solution is just great, we've got hundreds of sites and complex permissions for our users - this tool really, really helps.

As an idea for the next version, would it be possible to add a starting location in the web part?
Like the CQWP it would be good if we could browse for the starting location and save that in the web part configuration. This would then allow us set up a bunch of webparts for our most common admin tasks, without having to navigate through to the site settings pages, this would work really well with the EnumeratePermissions as well.

A second idea - could you go one step deeper and highlight pages/items as well?
This one obviously gets hard to manage from a UI and performance perspective, perhaps you could filter the web part by type (Page/Item/Site etc) or create a AJAX drill down view that only goes looking for pages/items when you expand the node in the treeview. From my perspective the filter approach rather than the drill down would be more useful as it would let me see and export reports on all items with matching access levels in a single view, regardless of what sub-site they may be in. The Ajax style would be more exciting though...

Coordinator
Sep 12, 2008 at 5:54 AM
Edited Sep 12, 2008 at 6:21 AM
Hi,
 Sorry for the late reply, but i'm glad that you find the project useful.

Run-time configuration of the root SPWeb object would be quite handy in the scenario that you've described. I will add this feature in the next release.

The inclusion of list items in the object heirarchy would complete the picture however I've yet to decide on a way forward keeping in mind performance. The technical limit on the number of items in a list would mean that either approach; filtering objects in the tree, based on type or populating a list's items dynamically (on node expansion), would require pagination of the tree view data.

Why? because the time it takes to do a single permission check on a securable object via the SP object model would most likely be the limiting factor. I haven't done any perfromance testing but without paging the data you would most likely be looking at tens of minutes for 100's-1000's of items in multiple lists in a single site.

I will keep you posted on any progress.

Tom.